Drifting Friendship

I remember a time behind me
With so many images and feelings
Left in the dust of memory

The friends I thought I knew
Who chose me to not know
And so I had to choose a way my own

Faces and voices twist with sounds and images
As I bury my feelings behind clenched lids
Words reflect idle banter from ear to ear
As I sit remembering them from yonder years

I took my mind and flew
Sought a dream and a wish
Surpassing all I knew

With my heart and soul in hand
Emotions cast a sewn canvas
Stretched upon a mast of my frustrations

Blood dripping through clenched fingers
My mind and being laid before scrutiny
All I am and was, and will be
Became the focus of the majority

Rushing winds and waves flowed about
Canters and jeers pulled me afloat
Upon a simple raft of self sincerity

I know not which way to sail
But with my heart and soul in hand
Honestly, how can I fail?

Years pass leaving more dust
And reveals a once familiar rut
A place where smiles were reflected from face to face
Much unlike this place of loneliness

Yet as time wages war with personal ties
A vacant shadow where I once stood
Disappears, swept up with that dust
Drowning that old worn rut I once knew

Now I sit wondering where we’ve all gone
I wonder where we’ll all be
When we remember our fond idle banter

Then turning to our newly found friends
We’ll in unison say
I remember a time behind me…

Comments

Popular Posts